Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Night Sailing




Nothing relaxes like sailing at night. You can't see it here, but I have a French 75 in one hand and a good book in the other. Wearing my favorite boat shoes always makes me swear like a sailor: courageous rhymes, animated metaphors, unexpected comparisons. Notice the charm, stolen from a couture suit I did for a client friend of mine who wanted something sharp sculpted as a fastener for her bikini - as if to say look out! Get too close and you might get hurt.

When was the last time you read by starlight? It is a challenge, but sets the mood wonderfully.

I have been debating the best course of action for days. I think it cannot be to make more commercial work simply for the sake of selling. My designs have always sold - why chase the ever retreating horizon of someone else's market?

Instead, I am taking aim at simply making the best designs I can. Everything else will sort itself out. So what if I am not a household name? Isn't better to be loved by a few than liked by all?

Where are the poetics in mass production? Even Andy Warhol got tired of that.

The rocking of the boat makes me think of the time my second assistant tried to tattoo himself while we were sailing. He ending up misspelling his own mother's name. Distracting waves - all thoughts are drowned by the immensity of the sea.

13 comments:

Syed said...

Reading by starlight sounds absolutely beautiful. I wish there were actually stars to see at night here in London. And it's always better to be known for quality and artistic design than simply to be known by lots.

Jane Varsity said...

any chance you threw at party called Atlantis?

Soren Lorensen said...

sometimes I can't tell where the sea ends and I begin...it just feels like me...hard to explain but I know I'd slowly die without the oceans

kathy gori said...

wow! just...love your website.

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. Very interesting subject. It makes you think!

Be sure and pop by and leave a note and follow! :)

-Laila
www.randomweavings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are a fabulous writer!

And I love those boat shoes. This really does make me want to go sailing and read a book by the moonlight.

Just out of curiousity - what were you reading?

Serg Riva said...

Dylan Thomas : Adventures in the Skin Trade

Anonymous said...

I just googled and read a summary of the book - sounds quite intriquing!

I don't usually use a cover up by the pool. I typically only swim in my backyard and just sit around in my suit. =)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment on STELLASTEFF. That is unfortunate about the misspelt tattoo, one of life's quirks i suppose. your blog is likewise, fun, as well. i am also in love with the sunbleached boyfriend shirt.

Elaine said...

I've never gone sailing so I can't say I know what it's like. But I have read by starlight and it's out-of-this-world! I love the feeling you get of being truly immersed into the book. And that is a great message! We should all aim to be the best we can without the approval of others..
clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Charmaine said...

i'm glad you're so content with yourself in your business! i wish i could be like that in the future, being content with one's career.

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

oh my, thanks for your words!
i'd love to go sailing by night :)

June said...

i loove this picture!! =D



xoxo
june